19 April 2011

things that are terrible, vol. 16: the idea of eating nothing but potato chips for 10 years

The Guardian has an amazing series called Experience where they interview people with strange compulsions, rare disorders and extraordinary life experiences. i am completely fascinated by these stories and only slightly embarrassed to admit that the day i discovered the series, i read nearly every story in the collection in one sitting. there is one about a woman with "mirror-touch" synesthesia, another about a musician who fell and accidently crushed his 1 million pound (~$1.6 million) violin.

there are many unbelievable stories in the series, but the one that still haunts me is an interview with a woman who has eaten nothing but crisps (potato chips) for the past 10 years. and beef-flavored crisps, no less. i am not sure why, but i find this more disturbing than many of the other stories in the series. here is an excerpt:

I'm not a fan of the cooked meal. I'm much happier with Monster Munch crisps – beef flavour; I wouldn't touch pickled onion. When I open the bag, I check if they have enough beef coating on them; if it's not enough, I'll throw them away. Sometimes there's a nugget of pure beef flavouring at the bottom, which is delicious. You could say I'm a connoisseur. I've been eating two family-size bags a day for two years, and little else for the past decade... I have a tea for breakfast, skip lunch and then I'm ready for my first large bag of crisps at around 4pm and my second bag at 8pm. 

perhaps what is most amazing about this is that A&E has not yet created a reality tv special about her.  seems like Intervention, Hoarders: Buried Alive, and a special on a woman who eats nothing but family-sized bags of crisps would easily be the best line up since ABC's TGIF  was introduced in the 1980s...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment