![]() |
| wow... i am really bad at drawing stairs. |
I had only been attending school in Paris for about a month at that time, so I didn't know how to speak much french at all. "AH! I hate my teachers!" I thought, "They made me learn all the words to a useless poem about [bleeping] daffodils, but they haven't managed to teach me a single practical phrase, like how to say 'I'm trapped in the toilet!' or even, you know, 'Somebody help me!'?!". All I could come up with was, "S'il vous plait, la porte est fermee." which translates to "If you please, the door is closed." - not exactly a phrase that conveyed the seriousness of the situation, in my opinion. In fact, it sort of sounded like something a rich old lady who thinks she is too important to open a bathroom door herself would say to her butler. But it was all I knew to say, so it would have to do.
I started calling for help by tentatively knocking on the door and saying in a low voice, "S'il vous plait, la porte est fermee." I was a little embarrassed by my terrible french vocabulary, but I figured it would only take a few seconds before someone heard me. Alas, I was wrong. After a minute, knocking and speaking in a calm voice turned into banging and shouting in a panicked voice, "S'IL VOUS PLAIT LA PORTE EST FERMEE!!!!!". And yet, despite the shouting, several minutes passed and no one came. I was starting to freak out. To calm myself down, I told myself that, surely, my parents would notice that I'd been gone for a long time and would come check on me. Wrong again. It had been almost 20 minutes at this point, and still, no one had come. Tears were starting to stream down my face and my knuckles were starting to get sore and raw from the knocking.
Just as I was starting to accept the fact that I was going to die in that stall, the maitre d' heard me shouting and came to my rescue. He yanked open the door, with a big smile on his face and immediately started speaking in very rapid french. I only understood about 10% of what he was saying, so I did what any awkward person would do, nodded as if I understood, sniffed back my tears, and then said in a small voice, "La porte avait ete ferme..." ("The door was closed..."). He took my hand and guided me back upstairs to our table, where he continued to speak in his rapid francais, until the blank stares clued him into the fact that we had no idea what he was saying.
When he finally left us, I asked my parents why they hadn't noticed that I'd been gone for AGES and come looking for me.
My parents: "Well, we figured you were just off in your own world."
Me: "In the bathroom? I was gone for over 20 minutes!"
My parents: "And...?"
I learned some important lessons that day:
1. Apparently my accent was good enough to fool a french maitre d'!
2. Always go to the bathroom with a friend, just in case.
3. It is important to know how to say "Help" in several languages.
And finally: 4. My parents thought of me as such a fluffy space cadet that they genuinely found it conceivable that I would get so distracted that I would spend 20 minutes in a bathroom FOR FUN (distracted by what - the rolls of toilet paper?). THANKS MOM AND DAD.
A space cadet, huh? Well, guess what, I'm all grown up and getting my PhD now, so you can take your "space cadet" and shove - OOOH LOOK A CAT VIDEO!
A space cadet, huh? Well, guess what, I'm all grown up and getting my PhD now, so you can take your "space cadet" and shove - OOOH LOOK A CAT VIDEO!



Love your memories, your illustrations, your green pants, and Maru:-)!!
ReplyDeleteNot as I remember, and as I recall your Aunt, Uncle and sister were there too.
ReplyDeleteyes - they were all there as well. I'm sure you were all just caught up in conversation or something, but mom has definitely told me in the years since "the incident" that you guys weren't worried because i was "known to get lost in my own world"... just saying. ;)
Delete